Sponsorship and advertisements are important to maintain ESMA’s financial stability. However, financial relationships with certain partners can be ethically wrong and might be a reputational risk.
All proposals for sponsorship must be referred to the ESMA Board. ESMA will enter into sponsorship and advertisements relationships only if they adhere to the following principles:
- The relationship is lawful within the United Kingdom, the European Union and any other country relevant to the relationship.
- The sponsor or advertiser is a legitimate and otherwise legal entity within the United Kingdom, the European Union or any other country relevant to the relationship.
- The relationship does not pose a risk to our reputation.
- ESMA retains its independence and integrity in all regards.
- The relationship is distinct and transparent so that the commercial relationship is obvious.
- ESMA’s name is not used in a manner that would express or imply ESMA’s endorsement of the corporation or its policies.
ESMA seeks the following characteristics in potential sponsors and advertisers:
- The relationship should enhance ESMA’s brand and reach.
- ESMA’s aims and values should align with those of the sponsor or advertiser.
- The sponsor/advertiser’s aims and goals do not detract or diminish the aims and goals of ESMA.